× General Product Discussions

Question for all you builders

More
9 years 2 months ago #1012 by skipperwbw
Replied by skipperwbw on topic Question for all you builders
Thanks alot for the update...... I'm thinking you could probably just spray a few coats of clear-coat over it during the painting process of the rest of the hull. And if someone were spraying a coat of clear-coat over the whole hull for extra shine and protection........ all the better, as well as easier and less labor involved since you wouldn't have to worry about doing a fancy taping job, on the corners, where the transom meets the sides of the hull............... THOUGHTS????

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #1009 by Tideline Boats
Replied by Tideline Boats on topic Question for all you builders
Skipper and Marc, I simply have not had time to mess around with this anymore recently. I still need to order clear gel if I want to make a sample like they intend, for you guys, in the cold mold process, it would likely be done differently.

I would think you would lay up your transom just like normal and get it really faired out nice and such, then you would want to wet the whole transom with a thin layer of resin and put this "veil" on much like a a vinyl decal (squeezing out air bubbles and such). If that worked you then only need an outer coating that would be clear and resist UV, that would sand and buff to a gloss. Of course, they recommend their clear gelcoats, but I suspect other things would likely work.

We have two boats we are building on a tight schedule at the moment, but when I get a chance I will try to mess with this stuff some more.

More
9 years 3 months ago #919 by skipperwbw
Replied by skipperwbw on topic Question for all you builders
I hope you haven't given up on more experimenting with this product... I've been wondering about a "shot-cut" for the wooden transom look... Does it require a thin layer of glass? and could you still get a really shiny finish after that, that wouldn't show the thin layer of glass?????/ Thanks

More
9 years 5 months ago #652 by Tideline Boats
One more pic of it as I was making the failed lam sample. This shows it while only coated with resin, before any glass. This is actually the backside, but still a decent idea of how it should look.
Attachments:

More
9 years 5 months ago #651 by Tideline Boats
Got our sample piece of this in and tried to make a quick lam with it to see how it looked. Only problem was my clear gel was too old and did not come out right, so it was not a good sample. Will try to get a better sample made soon. Here is a pic of the veil on the roll.
Attachments:

More
9 years 5 months ago #647 by MarcS
Replied by MarcS on topic Question for all you builders
Tide,

Post some photos before and after you use it! Thanks.

"dedicated to your success"

More
9 years 5 months ago #639 by Tideline Boats
Just got our sample of this stuff in, will play with it a bit and let you know what I think. I will say first off, it is very very thin. Got a feeling I can make it look ok in a flat(ish) area but working it into a radius looks impossible.

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #636 by MarcS
Replied by MarcS on topic Question for all you builders
I have no personal experience with it but it does look cool. It might be worth ordering the sample pack and playing with it. Our builders often ask about wood transoms. This might be a very cool way do do it. The website states "in mold" which, obviouly, in the case of a cold-mold build is impossible. Doesn't mean it won't work though. If anyone wants to play with it and report results, many of us would be interested.

"dedicated to your success"

More
9 years 6 months ago #635 by Tideline Boats
Question for all you builders was created by Tideline Boats
Marc/Gene or any of you other guys, have any of you looked into a product offered by FiberGlast called Chromaveil? It probably goes against everything you guys stand for, since it is basicaly a way to fake a wood look in a fiberglass structure.

I kind of doubt it will look good enough for any of us to be happy with, but think we may order a small sample pack just to mess around with, on the off chance it surprises us and works as good as they say it will. I was hoping that maybe some of you guys had messed with it and could share some thoughts? The wood versions are obviously what we find interesting, but they seem to have all sorts of patterns. Heh, it would be pretty cool to have a "teak" bathtub at home if nothing else.

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds