× General Product Discussions

Alexseal Fairing Products

More
9 years 7 months ago #376 by asabetta
Replied by asabetta on topic Alexseal Fairing Products
exactly! ... trying to fill the weave will only result in wasting more material than you planned on .. i ended up trying to fill on my last spray but realized i can just fill this in with the compound when i follow up .. from my experience this was only to close in the glass and give you a base to work with .. the 202(?) if i am refering to it correctly in that it is the compound ( we refered to it as "jb-weld" for the color and mixing component) seems to be the filler for the most part)...

my only mistake would be that i used more material than anticipated ( about 2/3 of both cans) .. now that i look back at it .. i will be ok as long as i do 3 lighter coats at the end before i do final primer..

we were spraying with a 2.2 tip.. and used barely any reducer .. 10-12% .. also sprayed well at 35psi .. everything above that was ricocheting off and not sticking to the hull...

Marc and Gene helped me out alot with trying to figure out mixes, dry times... etc .. i must have had Marc on the phone for almost a half hour the night before we sprayed ..

good luck .. and have fun! .. i know i am!

-alex

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #375 by MarcS
Replied by MarcS on topic Alexseal Fairing Products
Chris,

Check out the pictures of the 302 on Alex's build - Phila Area CB 17. As you can see, the weave is nowhere near filled. Gene wrote a nice set of Alexseal "procedures" and Alex appears to have followed them in his build. He is now to the point of being ready for 202. I know that Alex monitors this forum, hopefully, we can also get him to comment on his experience with the products as well as his thoughts on Gene's procedures.

Alex?

"dedicated to your success"

More
9 years 7 months ago #374 by chriselk
Replied by chriselk on topic Alexseal Fairing Products
How much 302 did you use (volume)?
Did you completely fill the weave?

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #310 by MarcS
Alexseal Fairing Products was created by MarcS
Gene just sprayed 3 coats of 302 on the hull (bottom and sides) of our internal build of the 16 Redfish Flats.

Products: Alexseal 302 High Build Expoxy Primer / Reducer
Equipment: Spraygun with 1.4mm nozzle - which is a standard "top coat" nozzle
If you have a 2.0mm "primer gun" that will probably be a bit easier

Gene reports that the product sprayed very well when thinned with the Alexseal Reducer. He experimented with different reductions from 17 to 25 percent and noted that they all worked well.

He layed on three heavy very wet coats and let it flash between coats. Wrap a thinner soaked rag around the front nozzle for a few minutes and you are ready to go on the next coat without having to clean the gun between coats.

Pictures to follow!

"dedicated to your success"

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds