× General Product Discussions

Shopping List - Tools

More
8 years 10 months ago #1352 by marolina
Replied by marolina on topic Shopping List - Tools
you are welcome! enjoy!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #1351 by RobWhite
Replied by RobWhite on topic Shopping List - Tools
Purchased a great tool which arrived today. The Gougeon Brothers on Boat Construction. Thanks for recommending the book Bo.

Rob

More
8 years 10 months ago #1348 by marolina
Man I forgot pawnshops!!! after christmas last year one of my sons had a little money. he wanted a snow board bottom line was he spent $200. for a used board with bindings . the board cost $900 new!

More
8 years 10 months ago #1345 by rabcoman
Replied by rabcoman on topic Shopping List - Tools
u dont need big money tools for this. i just have 3 to 4 of all tools because i have a building comp and there is times i use a $50 drill and the $200 one is just sits there dead. alot of clamps and alot of batt for drills.planer,saws,ect look at har freight. if u are not a everyday user for get name bands. this is just my 2cent.;)

More
8 years 10 months ago #1343 by skipperwbw
Replied by skipperwbw on topic Shopping List - Tools
Tools and brand names........ a different perspective........ you're not building a wood shop, you're building a boat....... you don't need all the high dollar names...... save yourself a thousand bucks....

Replace the Fein multi-tool with a craftsman, or other brand from Lowes... I used the "off" brand from Lowes, and punished it for days with NO problems. If you do have a problem, you carry the old one into lowes, and a new one out....

Belt sander......pawn shop
clamps..........pawn shop
circular saw.....skil
table saw.......skil
orbital sander.....Lowes or HF
angle grinder and discs... HF
router..........skil.......

I bought a great variable speed D.A. at Mennards... my point is, if you're not gonna build fine furniture after you finish the boat, dont spend 3000 dollars on tools that are gonna collect dirt in the garage.... run of the mill tools do a great job for do yourselfer's like most of us..... I've done plenty of wood working and remodeling with skil and other lower priced stuff, and I've done it as well as most other guys doing the same jobs....... my two cents.......

More
8 years 10 months ago #1340 by marolina
Rob The Harbor frieght in Laurel is worth the trip the black and orange squeeze type clamps will not tighted up like you will need they are great for a fast hold when you get things set up but spent the extra dollar and get the screw type!,

More
8 years 11 months ago #1246 by asabetta
Replied by asabetta on topic Shopping List - Tools
Rob,

Mark is right, the more clamps you have the better. ... but we completed our 17 with right around 20 clamps that we were able to borrow from friends ....

good luck!

More
8 years 11 months ago #1244 by blueh20mark
Replied by blueh20mark on topic Shopping List - Tools
I would start out with NO LESS than 40-50 clamps for your particular build. That may sound like a lot but trust me bro.... when you want to laminate 2 or more structural pieces, i.e. stringers and such, youll be glad you had enough clamps, otherwise you will glue and clamp whatever piece youre working on and then have to wait a day or so depending on temperature to remove the clamps and use them elsewhere. I bought my 6in clamps at Auto Zone for about 6.00 each which was a much better price than Harbor Freight, especially considering the ones I bought were much better quality than the ones from HF. I bought em at AZ when I had a part time job there....

More
8 years 11 months ago #1243 by RobWhite
Replied by RobWhite on topic Shopping List - Tools
Thanks Mark,

Looks like I won't have to do as much shopping as I feared. How many clamps do you think you used at once? Should I order 20 or more? I'm looking forward to using the Freud Router my wife got me last year that I've yet to take out of the box. Thanks again.

Rob

More
8 years 11 months ago #1242 by blueh20mark
Replied by blueh20mark on topic Shopping List - Tools
You will likely need 6 and 4in clamps. To remove the jig parts, a good jigsaw works great. Buy yourself a....

Fein Multi-tool (spendy but youll find it handy, wish I woulda!!)
Bosch power planer
Makita 18v Lithium ion cordless drill (1/2)
Quality Circular saw (I have a DeWalt)
Orbital sander (I have a DeWalt)
3M 30" flexible long board, and a rigid
Makita 4" side grinder (use the 3X flap discs from Home Depot, they are awesome!)
Quality belt sander (I have a Rigid)
Screw extractor (get details from Marc)
Makita 5" disc sander (very handy)
7" Stanley box plane
Quality router (I have a KICK ASS Makita)

If you dont already have them, youll also need a good table saw and band saw as well. I have a DeWalt 12" compound sliding chop saw that has also proven itself handy during the build as well. Oh and a 40x60 shop will come in handy too.... ;)

Mark,

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds