× Welcome to the Boatbuilders' Forum!

Tell us and the other builders who you are. We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

New member, Charleston, SC

More
9 years 11 months ago #8178 by MarcS
Replied by MarcS on topic New member, Charleston, SC
You have been getting good advice from these folks.

You have joined the best group in boating!

Call anytime. Thanks and we look forward to your build pics as well in the fall.

"dedicated to your success"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #8177 by heathtd
Replied by heathtd on topic New member, Charleston, SC
Thanks RMB! I'm going to have to measure my garage today and see what I can fit in there. Believe it is 26x25 or so. May be a tight squeeze.

I will definitely give Marc and Co a call. I want to start planning it out and figuring timelines and costs associated with the build (excluding electronics and power for now).

I like the look of the 22' and 24', even more with a bracket. Would like something to get me offshore when I can go and something that can accommodate the kids for cruises around Charleston and barrier islands.

Thanks for all the help thus far. Hope you can find me in the build forum in the fall...

More
9 years 11 months ago #8174 by RMBoatworks67
Replied by RMBoatworks67 on topic New member, Charleston, SC
Heath,

What Jay said x2 go for the size you want instead of doing a smaller one first. You can always get a portable car port like the other guys have done. The smaller the boat the tighter the curves and more bending of wood. As for cost call Marc or Gus they will talk boats all day long with you, no presure either.

For The Fish Of It
The following user(s) said Thank You: heathtd

More
9 years 11 months ago #8173 by heathtd
Replied by heathtd on topic New member, Charleston, SC
Jay,

Good point. I was thinking the 16' could be done in my garage vs having to find a place to build a 22 or 24.

I'm still observing to make sure I know (slightly) what I am getting myself into. I am handy and not afraid of the work, just want to make sure I do it right...

I'm also trying to figure out construction costs. Any idea (approximately) what materials run for a 22 or 24?

Marc, thanks for the welcome. We'll be heading up that way in July.

More
9 years 11 months ago #8172 by Cape_Fisherman
Replied by Cape_Fisherman on topic New member, Charleston, SC
Heath, I don't think you need to start with a smaller (16') hull just because you've not built a boat before. As a matter of fact the small hulls can be a bit more difficult. You can do whatever you're comfortable with, but I would think you'd be fine with a 23' (or 22, or 24) for your first.

Jay
Mount Pleasant

More
9 years 11 months ago #8170 by MarcS
Replied by MarcS on topic New member, Charleston, SC
Heath,

You are welcome anytime!!

"dedicated to your success"

More
9 years 11 months ago #8168 by heathtd
New member, Charleston, SC was created by heathtd
I've been following a few build online and have the bug...

I would like to build around a 23' for family and fishing reasons. It would be my first build, so I am not sure I if I should start on a 16 or not...

I may see if we can swing by this summer on our way to Nags Head for vacation. I'll be actively watching the builds and wonder why I haven't started mine yet...

Thanks,

heathtd
Charleston, SC

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds