× Welcome to the Boatbuilders' Forum!

Tell us and the other builders who you are. We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Another New member from South MS

More
10 years 6 months ago #7197 by david2012
Replied by david2012 on topic Another New member from South MS
Wellllll, I would like to build all of them and line them up in my back yard so I can look out the window at them as I drink my coffee, the lines are so nice on these boats. I am concerned I'll never get it completed and my wife will let the kids use the jig for a marshmellow roast while I am away on work. I'll get a youtube link to it burning in my email box. That would be a sad day, so I thinking I should start with a small one and see how it goes.

Any of the flats boats or the 17 inshore come to mind. I would love to have the 21 Bay, but not sure I should start with it. Probably on of the small flats boats.

What are your thoughts on an easy starter, the 14 is to small for me to get much use out of.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #7196 by marolina
Replied by marolina on topic Another New member from South MS
Welcome David!,, what are you planning on building?

More
10 years 6 months ago #7191 by MarcS
Replied by MarcS on topic Another New member from South MS
Luzilla, I really laughed hard at that one... Literally had to wipe away tears.

David, I did get your PM. Lot's of good info there. Got a couple hectic weeks in front of me and so it would be better for me if you and I could just chat over the phone again and run down each of your points.

On the "community" statement. You are correct David. We have a great group of guys with great support from their families and great support from each other... and that is why it works so well. None of us will tolerate any "bashing".

I look forward to you entering our family.

"dedicated to your success"

More
10 years 6 months ago #7189 by luzilla
Replied by luzilla on topic Another New member from South MS
1st off welcome
Buddy I wouldn't worry about how long it takes to build it. I have been saying mine will be done by the 4th of July for 2 years now. And by the way I forgot who said this famous quote Marc you know your boat history so maybe you remember but it goes something like this "when mans boat Is finished, man dies"

More
10 years 6 months ago #7186 by david2012
Another New member from South MS was created by david2012
So 3 new members from South MS in 3 months (I'm also from Biloxi)????

I randomly ran across the site while bored at work and looking through various craigslist's for a project boat to rehab. My dad and I have done this numerous times over the years and the hurricanes seem to always supply some pretty damaged nice hulls at a very good price between New Orleans and Panama City. We would rip off the tops, repair the holes / missing hull pieces and put it together the way we wish it had been to start with (with a new motor). We usually kept them a few years and got the bug for something different.

I have lived on one coast or another my whole life (I'm 43 now) and spent many days on shrimp boats (think Forrest Gump style) and various other work and pleasure vessels of all sizes. I used to help my uncle build large and small Lafitte Skiffs as a kid, even though a few of these "skiffs" were 25 foot or more. I loved that style of boat with the large bow and skirts hanging over the rear for extra work / fish surface to stand on.

I see many of the Lafitte elements in the Carolina style and would love to find the time to build one. I am concerned my time constraints won't allow me to get this done in a reasonable amount of time?? I can probably put in 7-8 full days a month into it with various levels of help from unskilled nephews etc. Can I get it complete in 6 - 8 months (yea I know too many unknown variables)?

I am looking a something small to start with, but the 14 is really to small to be of much use to me and the wife / kids; and I like several of the 16's, so that is what I am considering at this point. I spoke with Marc earlier today and look forward to hearing back from him when he finds the time away from answering all of your questions :)

I have read many of your build threads and comments, this seems like a great community without the usual bashing you see on so many forums, great to see...... I really enjoyed seeing all the beautiful boats you have built, hope I can find the time to do the same.

David

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds