× Welcome to the Boatbuilders' Forum!

Tell us and the other builders who you are. We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Hello from South Mississippi

More
10 years 7 months ago #6808 by sakelley7
Replied by sakelley7 on topic Hello from South Mississippi
Welcome aboard man. There are two builds not that far from you! Marks 27 in mobile and I just started a 21 bay boat in Grand Bay. I know either one of us would love for you to stop by and check out the builds! Only thing left to do is pick which one you want to build and call Marc. We need another carolina style boat on the gulf coast!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #6708 by nickbrink33
Replied by nickbrink33 on topic Hello from South Mississippi
That sounds great. I think you will find a lot of the Builders on this site would like to build a bigger boat next. Believe me, small or large it is labor intensive, but if have some patience and attention to detail you can do it. Let me know if you have any questions about building outside.

More
10 years 8 months ago #6621 by marolina
Replied by marolina on topic Hello from South Mississippi
that all sounds good,, PULL THE TRIGGER ! I think I for my personal boat would have to have some accomdations!, I fish / travel to fish and would cruise if I had the need, so there for I would build an express/ or a larger sportfish.

all the help in the boat building world is here for you.
glad you found the place !

More
10 years 8 months ago #6620 by mburger120
Replied by mburger120 on topic Hello from South Mississippi
I keep moving toward 30' or larger, inboard diesel. I really like the center consoles, but as much money that is put into it, to get the most versatility for a family of 4, the express style would do great. Blueh20mark hit many of the same reasons for comfort and family in the forum thread for his 27 Dorado build post #6599.

The 27 Wahoo looks great though too with the inboard single option, and the 32 Stingray with twin inboards. I would rather traditional inboard setup, have read some about jackshaft configuration that could be an option.

I would build it with a lot of mahogany at the helm and forward, teak decks and strong traditional looks. I would love a transom finished with outer layer of mahogany over the epoxy/ply layers, finished bright.

My build will likely be outside as I'd rather put the money into the boat than building a barn or something. I don't have a garage large enough but have plenty of workshop space for storing the wood, tools and everything else inside. I have an acre of land so I have plenty of flexibility for an outside build.

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #6553 by marolina
Replied by marolina on topic Hello from South Mississippi
Great opening remarks, I wish to offer a few comments. First off C-flex is hatefull stuff. I have built one boat with it and will never use it again. It's heavy, hard to work with, and despite of the Dave Sintes videos, you will get lots of air in your first laminate as air enters from the back side so you will be grinding off a good bit of your work ( $$ ). it was the best thing when it was the ONLY thing to use for a one off polyester boat!,

you will find the boats offered here are not dificult to build, the forum and contributors offer lots of help and when you are ready for big steps if you put out a call for help , you might find some of us travel to help get big tasks under control fast. check the Southern Va, and northern Va build threads

cold molded boat are a bit more labor intensive due to the shape but no more difficult then the Glen-L stuff. after your search and the time you have put into the boat building desire, don't keep us hanging on! , what type and size of boat are you looking for?

All the best

Bo

More
10 years 8 months ago #6542 by MarcS
Replied by MarcS on topic Hello from South Mississippi

RobWhite wrote: Welcome aboard!

X2. Give us a call! We love to talk boats!!!!!

"dedicated to your success"

More
10 years 8 months ago #6534 by RobWhite
Replied by RobWhite on topic Hello from South Mississippi
Welcome aboard!

More
10 years 8 months ago #6533 by mburger120
Hello from South Mississippi was created by mburger120
Holy *&#$@! I've been looking for 1 1/2 years for either plans or jig to purchase and build a cold-molded Carolina hull! I can't believe I found you guys (I had all but given up and determined to sign up at Westlawn so that I could do just what you guys are doing...are you hiring??)...and believe it or not I ran across a forum discussion by accident because I was searching for c-flex pros/cons after heavily considering Sintes Designs Carolina Hulls. I'd much rather build cold molded than c-flex, nothing against it, but I'm too traditional. I'll try c-flex later after I've built my first, or second...

I'm in Laurel, MS about 1.5 hrs from the Gulf Coast (Gulfport/Biloxi), grew up in South Louisiana around boats and wood working, fishing and exploring the waters of Vermilion Bay, Cypremort Point, Lake Ponchartrain, Mandeville, intracoastal waterway, Mississippi Gulf Coast, Grand Isle, Cocodrie, Barataria, Lafitte. Grew up cruising and fishing with family on a 1968 33' Ulrichsen wooden lapstrake cabin cruiser.

My brother began building a glen-l classic mahogany runabout around 3 yrs ago and the bug bit me...I've debated what I want to build over and over and always landed back on a Carolina Hull center console or express, I just could never find plans nor anyone offering to supply jigs...until now! I want to fish and dive the gulf coast and get my family on the water as I did growing up, and have the capabilities to hit bluewater fishing. I'm interested in the inboard models...

I'm encouraged to see guys building outside rather than having to build a barn or something (like I've had in my head but don't want to spend the money).

Staying up late at night trying to read as many of the project threads as I can, being careful to pace myself and not miss work from the addiction...

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds