× This is the optional Forum header for the Suggestion Box.

disign

More
3 years 11 months ago #9695 by Albert Jr.
Albert Jr. replied the topic: disign

marolina wrote: Great, both c-flex and coldmolded construction and foam cored boats all share the need for a jig, be it a male jig 99.9% of the time of in the very rare case a female jig. the word Coldmolded simply is a term applied to wood /epoxy construction when the epoxy does not need heat to cure. I would offer a few thought , design your boat around what you will use her for. if you are set on marine grade ply and epoxy can your boat be built from a developed surface ( sheet material) or will the shape require some tourture! (strips cut to width allowing for needed bends) ,, I hope this helps you ! Peace

Thanks for the tips.
I'm not certain if I'll need strips to build the boat because it has more of a lobster skiff shape,
I think I will only need a developed surface.

Quality means doing it right when no one is looking

25 ft Whaler
13 ft Whaler
12 Alliance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #9694 by marolina
marolina replied the topic: disign
Great, both c-flex and coldmolded construction and foam cored boats all share the need for a jig, be it a male jig 99.9% of the time of in the very rare case a female jig. the word Coldmolded simply is a term applied to wood /epoxy construction when the epoxy does not need heat to cure. I would offer a few thought , design your boat around what you will use her for. if you are set on marine grade ply and epoxy can your boat be built from a developed surface ( sheet material) or will the shape require some tourture! (strips cut to width allowing for needed bends) ,, I hope this helps you ! Peace

More
3 years 11 months ago #9693 by Albert Jr.
Albert Jr. replied the topic: disign

marolina wrote: I saw you were looking into flex on another forum. I would suggest you stay away from that stuff it was new tech. 25 years ago

That is true and I am aware that it's old tech.
However, I'm more interested in the design of the boat, the question about the c-flex was meant for me to learn a bit more about the tech.
My plan is actually to build the jig and instead of c-flex use normal marine grade plywood.

25 ft Whaler
13 ft Whaler
12 Alliance

More
3 years 11 months ago #9689 by marolina
marolina replied the topic: disign
I saw you were looking into flex on another forum. I would suggest you stay away from that stuff it was new tech. 25 years ago

More
4 years 9 months ago #7907 by Albert Jr.
Albert Jr. replied the topic: Re: disign
Ok thanks man, I will do that.

25 ft Whaler
13 ft Whaler
12 Alliance

More
4 years 9 months ago #7906 by marolina
marolina replied the topic: Re: disign
we build boats from 15' to over 30' their is is a market for everything,, as for skils grab a couple of the build threads, the ones that are start to finish,, and if you develop questions PM me and I will answer them for you, in short here is what we do,, , we build a base it must be flat "level" and strong so it will not move until you want it to move,, we set up stations molds ! or jig frames on a given mark determined by the designer,, then we cut wood thin enough to bend into shape and glue it all with epoxy, , shapr it to meet the transitions cover it with hull planking glued and coated wit epoxy, smooth it out ( fairing) glass it fair it again paint it and flip it over!,, then build the inside !

More
4 years 9 months ago #7904 by Albert Jr.
Ok man. I don't mind the work because it's about boatbuilding, I can litterly go for hours on just by drawing a boat.
I believe that most people don't read it because it's all to much on eachother. What I'm saying is that there isn't a rest between texts.

I can't wait to see the videos and it is true that people learn faster by seeing.
I'll start seaching for the rhino 3D program and when I get my liscense I will start helping Mike out as much as I can.

Thankyou very very much and tight lines.

25 ft Whaler
13 ft Whaler
12 Alliance

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #7903 by MarcS
MarcS replied the topic: Re: disign
Albert,

I have written a lot in the past and I have discovered two things.

1. It is a LOT of work
  2. Most people don't read it anyway!

We plan to produce a set of videos sometime in the future that shows important aspects visually.

People want to see it rather than read it.

Thanks for the interest.

Most boat designers use Rhino 3D for design. Learn that instead!

See if you can make a new friend in Michael and help him where / when you can. You will learn a LOT!

Go for it!!!

"dedicated to your success"

More
4 years 9 months ago #7893 by Albert Jr.
Aaawh thanks man that means alot.
My ambition will never get lowered man.
Thanks.

25 ft Whaler
13 ft Whaler
12 Alliance

More
4 years 9 months ago #7892 by Cape_Fisherman
Cape_Fisherman replied the topic: Re: disign
The ABCs. My wife is from T&T and she has always said the most beautiful water she has ever seen is on Curacao.

Good luck...stay ambitious.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Albert Jr.

Moderators: MarcS
Time to create page: 0.277 seconds