Need Hardware Recommendation-Not CB

More
6 years 2 months ago #3772 by Ricardo
Ricardo replied the topic: Re: Need Hardware Recommendation-Not CB
And the 1 screw is right on the seam between the deck and console...it's really got no holding power there unless it passes through to structure below......I personally would remove the console and make an access area to the footpad and add a backing plate. If you need to notch a stringer, after the job is done you can replace the notch glass in a butt block to cover the repair which should make it sound again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #3770 by Leotis
Leotis replied the topic: Re: Need Hardware Recommendation-Not CB
Toggle bolts require a pretty big hole, maybe to big for that small area. I would go inserts, Garland did you check that website?
If that tower leg is 3" in diameter and you drill out (3) 1/2" holes you've taken out more of the structure than you want to.

Wish I were building 22 ENVI Offshore Center Console "Ultimate"

More
6 years 2 months ago #3769 by Slipperhead
Slipperhead replied the topic: Re: Need Hardware Recommendation-Not CB
Correct, there is no access on the other side even if the console is removed....only utility "holes" are visible.

The pads are currently fastened with what look like SS wood screws.

Garland Hanson
804-814-5707 cell
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
6 years 2 months ago #3768 by nzlance
nzlance replied the topic: Re: Need Hardware Recommendation-Not CB
Drill the holes out over sized, like 10- 12 mm. I guess 1/2 inch in imperial. Fill with only slightly thickened epoxy. Either set heavy gauge ss screw in. Or you could set in small ss bolts into the resin upside down and put dome nuts on and tighten after resin has cured. The important part is to create the solid resin plug for screws or bolts to be set into. Go to west systems web site and look up mounting deck hardware.

More
6 years 2 months ago #3766 by MarcS
MarcS replied the topic: Re: Need Hardware Recommendation-Not CB
I thought Garland said there was no access under. True? You could also pull the entire tower off, attach stainless toggles and push them all through enlarged holes together. It would need to be a team effort.

Leo, your thoughts. Toggles vs. inserts?

"dedicated to your success"

More
6 years 2 months ago #3765 by Ricardo
Ricardo replied the topic: Re: Need Hardware Recommendation-Not CB
make them oval or oblong and use a backing plate

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #3748 by Slipperhead
I finally made it to my home town and snapped a photo of the are where I'm looking for a hardware recommendation. Here is a photo of one of the tower legs. Yes, it is a simple sighting tower on a 18' Sea Hunt, and a tremendous amount of stress is imparted on these four tower legs when it gets rough!

What do you think?

Garland

Garland Hanson
804-814-5707 cell
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Attachments:

More
6 years 3 months ago #3619 by Leotis
Yes, same concept but we are using couplers as inserts. I will look around to see if i can find a source let me know what size you will need?

Also since you mentioned insert, look at www.groov-pin.com they make some easy to install ones. You could call there tech support.

The only problem with a steel insert in Fiberglass is eventually it will come out again. The FRP insert can be built into the structure with epoxy or polyster resin, I plan on putting them in the sole where my center console will attach and where the t-tops legs will sit.
I know where you can get 1/4 inch and 3/8 couplers right now but you will probably need something smaller

More
6 years 3 months ago #3614 by Slipperhead
A simple, round, steel pad with a pipe welded to the center of it is what is being fastened to the floor is . The pad has four holes evenly spaced with screws fastening it to the floor.

Through research, I've found there ARE stainless toggle bolts which require a sizeable hole to be drilled. There are also expanding bolts that can be used.

Leo, the "coupler" looks like an insert. Same same? Got a source and p/n?

thanks,

Garland

Garland Hanson
804-814-5707 cell

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #3611 by Leotis
If I'm understanding what your saying you probably need to redrill the current holes and use larger stainless screws, or you can resin in some FRP couplers and change the screws from a wood type to a flush type bolt. this is a bit of work but they are very strong and once you resin them in it will never pull out again. I will try to attach a picture of the coupler, you can get these in various sizes.

You can also get these with a hex flange around the center, We use these in FRP structures on manways and platform systems in chemical plants and also in large fiberglass fish tanks as through wall fittings. Hope this helps.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.271 seconds